EPC9163 KIT – 2 kW 48 V/12 V Bi-directional
Power Module Evaluation Board
The EPC9163 evaluation power module is a 2 kW, two-phase 48 V to/from 12 V bidirectional converter that operates at high efficiency in a very small footprint. The design of this demonstration board is scalable; that is, two converters can be paralleled to achieve 4 kW or three converters can be paralleled to achieve 6 kW. The board features eight EPC2218 100 V eGaN® FETs and is controlled by a module (EPC9528) that includes the Microchip dsPIC33CK256MP503 16-bit digital controller.
The fast-switching speed and low losses of the eGaN FETs allow the converter to operate at 500 kHz which significantly reduces the size of the solution. The high switching frequency capability allows the use of the extremely small IHTH-1125KZ-5A Vishay inductor in this design.
The EPC9163KIT includes:
One (1) EPC9163 evaluation board
One (1) EPC9528 controller board
- High efficiency:95.8% @ 14.3 V/ 140 A output (buck)
- Small size: 112 x 70 x 40 mm (4.4 x 2.8 x 1.6 in)
- Designed switching frequency: 500 kHz
- Re-programmable– average current mode control (default)
- On board current sensor and temperature sensor
- Fault protection
- 48 V Automotive power – Mild Hybrid Electric Vehicles (MHEV)