Single-Stage Power Conversion: 48 V – Point-of-Load (POL)
The demand by our society for information is growing at an unprecedented rate. With emerging technologies, such as cloud computing and the internet of things (IoT), this trend for more and faster access to information is showing no signs of slowing. What makes the transfer of information at high rates of speed possible are racks and racks of servers, mostly located in centralized data centers.
Historically, the power needed to support this rapidly growing demand comes from our electrical grid, and goes through multiple conversion stages before it actually feeds the remaining energy into a digital semiconductor chip, losing efficiency in each stage. Today, the benefits of enhancement-mode gallium nitride (eGaN® technology) based power converters enable solutions for existing data center and telecommunications architectures centering around an input voltage of 48 VDC with load voltages as low as 1 VDC.
eGan FETs, ICs, and Modules for 48 V to 1 V DC-DC Conversion
Why eGaN FETs and ICs for Single-Stage 48 V – POL Power Converter Designs
- Increase output current while reducing size
- Ultra low QGD and zero QRR = efficient switching of high current and high voltage
- Wafer level package = low inductance, low noise, low cost
- High frequency switching = smaller, cheaper passives and faster transient response
- Ultra-low capacitance = high efficiency at light load
Recommended Devices for Single-Stage 48 V – POL Converter Designs
Half-Bridge Development Boards for Recommended Devices
Featured Reference Designs