In my 40 years’ experience in power semiconductors I have visited thousands of customers, big and small, on every continent except Antarctica. When the issue invariably turns to the packaging of the power semiconductor – transistor, diode, or integrated circuit – the requests for improvement fall into six categories:
- Can you make the package smaller?
- Can you reduce the package inductance?
- Can you make the product with lower conduction losses?
- Can you make the package more thermally efficient?
- Can you sell the product at a lower price?
- Can you make the package more reliable?
eGaN® FETs and integrated circuits from EPC have taken a very different approach to packaging power semiconductors – we have ditched the package altogether!